Monday, December 6, 2010

Dang, the Germans don't mess around.

Ok, I have heard about this before but never believed it. It's true, Germany has two Santas.

There is a good Santa and a bad Santa. The good Santa (the guy in red) is named St. Nikolaus. He's the one that comes and gives gifts to all the good kids. The bad Santa (the guy in brown with the crazy look in his eye) is named Knecht Ruprecht. Knecht Ruprecht is Nikolaus' helper. If any of the kids are bad, he takes them out into the street and beats them. Yes, you read that right. Santa will kick your ass if you are bad. So you can image, all the kids are very good over here around Christmas. (Ha! I'm glad I grew up in America where Santa's helpers were just nice little elves making toys for us. I probably would have got the beat down if I grew up in Europe.)

Also, did you know that Santa doesn't deliver gifts to everyone on December 24th? Remind me to tell that to my mom. That was her excuse to make me ask Santa for a smaller gift. She said, "Santa has to carry gifts for kids all over the world, so you should ask for something smaller than a pony." I just found out that is some bullshit. Santa comes to Germany on December 6th. I could have asked for pony, damn it. I am calling my mom.

P.S. If you want to read more about Knecht Ruprecht (I know you do) check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knecht_Ruprecht

P.S.S. The German sitting next me is suggesting I put in the phonetic pronunciation for Knecht Ruprecht for you. So here you go: (k-nesht roo-presht). You're welcome.

6 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I was seriously laughing out loud when I read that he takes kids into the street and beats them.I have never heard this before! (And thank you for the pronunciation.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you just inspired me to look up the Dutch tradition, which includes Sinterklaas (Santa) and Zwarte Piet (similar to your Knecht Ruprecht)... what a trip! And Sinterklaas delivers his gifts on Dec. 5th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buwahahahahaha!!! I SAID,"YOU'RE WELCOME!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha omg this is awesome! and yeah im pissed too! Dec. 6th..that is like three weeks prior to our date here in the state!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey. Nice Story. I am German and have to make something clear, so you don´t get a wrong Image of it. Your writings are nice, but not completely right i think. Let me tell that as born German.
    You also got Saint Nicholas (german: St. Nikolaus) and Santa Claus (german: Weihnachtsmann) right? So on 6th, Nikolaus comes to german Kids, in the Morning/Night. Not Santa Claus. And you got to place your Boots outside or at the Door, so Nikolaus can put some things in!
    And right, if you've been bad, you get punished. But not beaten ;) It´s called Rute (rod,twig,verge?) and you get beaten on the Hand or something. but nobody really gets beaten. Maybe back in the Days. Nowadays tt´s only "said".
    So, like in US, Santa comes around 24/25, but we celebrate it on the Evening of 24, Not at the Morning 25th. WE GET OUR PRESENTS STILL EARLIER ! :D
    25th and 26th is only for celebrating and visiting Family and stuff.
    So it´s not that big difference ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. and you get a "Rute", a tree branch or something instead of a present if you´ve been bad the last year. But nobody does that, it´s only to threat ;) If you´ve been good, you get only 1 small Present and some sweets. It´s like the mini Christmas before real Christmas.
    We don´t get all our Presents at 6th ;)

    ReplyDelete